Aberaeron FC vs Llanelli Town AFC




Any potential banana skin for the visitors in their JD Welsh Cup first round tie at Aberaeron was safely negotiated by half time as they were by then four goals to the good, courtesy of an early Ross Jones header and the almost inevitable hat-trick by Lee Trundle.  The only downside for the Reds was the second half dismissal of Luke Jones for a needless push on goalkeeper Barry Edwards which sent him to the ground, and he now faces a probable three match ban.

Manager Andy Hill made a number of changes to the starting line-up with the two Joneses, Luke and Ross and Luke Morgan included, while Anthony Finselbach, Lee Bevan, Chris Thomas and Chris Jones were on the bench, while absentees due to injury and unavailability were Jordan Follows, James Loveridge, Richard Lewis and Sam Wade. After some initial sparring between the sides, the scoring was opened when Liam Samuel did well to win the ball wide on the left before delivering a cross into the middle for Ross Jones to head past Edwards in the 6th minute.

Robert Thomas was shown an early yellow card by referee Aled Jones, who would turn out to be selective throughout the contest with his cautions, allowing several meaty challenges on both sides to go unpunished. A further chance of increasing the lead then fell to Jordan Davies when he worked his way into a promising position, but for some reason he elected to play in Luke Jones instead of shooting, and the danger was eventually cleared.

Morgan was the next Reds` player to go into the referee`s book, before the home side had a great chance of levelling matters when the ball was lost in midfield and played through for Matthew Davies in space, but he delayed his effort with only Craig Morris to beat, allowing Joe Clarke time to bring off a saving tackle and save the day.

Aberaeron were made to pay for this when the Reds struck again on 25 minutes with Davies involved in the move before finding Trundle on the right, and he cut inside before unleashing a ferocious finish which gave Edwards no chance of saving. Samuel directed a shot on the turn just wide, before the lead was increased further in the 37th minute when some more Trundle trickery in the box bamboozled the home defence, leading to a lunge by Sion Clarke which resulted in the award of a penalty.

Trundle himself stepped up to put away the kick, and within a minute completed his treble by winning an aerial duel on the edge of the area before gaining possession and directing his finish past the goalkeeper into the vacant net. He then sent another attempt inches off target just before the interval which arrived with the visitors well in control, and it was more of the same after the restart, with Samuel seeing his goalbound shot cleared off the line.

Following this, Luke Jones received his marching orders after 52 minutes, while Finselbach was introduced in place of Samuel at the same time. A second penalty was then awarded to the Reds when Trundle was again floored in the box, this time by Elwyn Edwards, and he fired home to notch up his fourth and fifth for the team in the 58th minute. Chris Jones came on as a replacement for namesake, Ross, and he was the benefactor when the visitors racked up goal number six eight minutes from time, combining with Trundle before firing past Edwards.

A final change by the Reds led to Lee Bevan replacing Davies, but the home side had the final say with the award of a third penalty of the contest after 88 minutes following some pushing in the area, and this time Davies did find the net, although Morris got his hands to the kick but just could not keep it out.

Comfortably though to the second round, the Reds will now be hoping for a favourable draw, preferably at home, in order to progress in the competition.

ABERAERON;   B. Edwards; A. Evans; Lewis (M. Clarke, 60); Bourne (Jaques, 46); E. Edwards;
Hemmings (D. Evans, 67); Wilkins; Gornall; Davies; Aldritt; S. Clarke ©; Subs. not used; I. Evans; M. Evans.

LLANELLI TOWN;   Morris; Graves; Facciuto; Clarke ©; R. Thomas; Morgan; Samuel   (Finselbach, 52); Davies (Bevan, 82); L. Jones; Trundle; R. Jones (C. Jones, 69);
Subs. not used; C. Thomas; Coughlan (GK).

SCORERS;              Aberaeron – Davies, 88 (P). Llanelli Town – R. Jones, 6; Trundle, 25, 37 (P), 38, 58 (P); C. Jones, 82.

YELLOW CARDS;   Aberaeron – E. Edwards; Jaques.

Llanelli Town – R. Thomas; Morgan; Davies.

RED CARD; Llanelli Town – L. Jones.

REFEREE; Aled Jones (Lampeter).

On Friday evening, the Reds return to league action with a short journey to meet Afan Lido at the Marston Stadium, kick off 7.30 p.m.


Date Time League Season Full Time
7th October 2017 2:30 pm Welsh Cup 2017 90'


Club1st Half1st Half2nd Half2nd HalfGoalsPKGoalsOutcome
Aberaeron FC0011111Loss
Llanelli Town AFC4422626Win